National High School began its journey in the year 1913 from the premises of the Madras Social Club at Siddeswar Chandra Lane, off Amherst Street, Calcutta as Anglo -Tamil School, Champatala with the objective of facilitating the education of children whose parents had migrated to Calcutta from erstwhile Madras Presidency.
Thus began the journey of a great institution under the patronage of great visionaries like late Shri N.R. Iyer, late Rao Bahadur K Balaram Iyer, late Shri C A Sundaram, late Dr C. V Raman & late Dr Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan to name a few.
In the larger interest of the school a Society was formed in the year 1935 & registered under the Societies Registration Act which took over the management of the Anglo- Tamil School, Champatala. The Society was named N.R. Memorial Education Society, after Late Shri N.R Iyer to commemorate his significant contribution as one of the founders of the school.
In 1938 the school moved to its new premises down south at 164, Lansdowne Road (at present Sarat Bose Road).It was a significant landmark in the history of this great institution. The governing body renamed the school as National High School.
In 1939, the Calcutta University, which then had control over all the schools granted recognition to National High School. The first batch of students appeared in the Matriculation examination in the year 1940.
With growing number of students down the years it became imperative to expand the school which by this time had started functioning as two different schools, one for the boys and the other for the girls with separate Heads of institutions.
In 1958 the foundation stone for the new school building at 42/1 Hazra Road was laid by late Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, the then Vice-President of India .The Boys‘ School formally shifted to its new address on 4th July,1962.
Since then the school has grown from strength to strength adding several feathers to its cap and is ranked as one of the premier educational institutions of Kolkata.
With the ever growing demand created, the Society has constructed an annexe building at Hazra Road to accommodate the additional demand.
National High School celebrated its centenary in 2013 with great fervor and it had the opportunity to host several distinguished people to mark the centennial year.
The rich heritage of this institution is not measured merely with the passage of time but the students who have moved out of its four walls into the bigger world doing their alma mater proud.